Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week 30, Day 210 - “A Cup of Joe"

“A Cup of Joe”
Written by Joe Janes
8/16/09
210 of 365

CAST:
Joan, late 20s
Lucy, early 20s
Timm, 50s

(Lights up on a hole-in-the-wall independent bagel and coffee place. Joan stands in the kitchen doorway smoking a cigarette and being sure to blow the smoke outside. Lucy is cleaning and espresso machine.)

JOAN
So… Joe’s coming over tonight. First time. That’s pretty big.

LUCY
I don’t know. I guess. I get to cook for him.

JOAN
Hmmmm… Third date? Fourth date?

LUCY
Fourth. Technically.

JOAN
He’s going to be in your territory.

LUCY
Right. I have the home turf advantage.

JOAN
I doubt he sees it that way.

LUCY
I like the guy. He’s cool. He’s nice. I’m not worried.

JOAN
You cook him dinner. He eats it. He has some wine, yes? (Lucy nods) You have some wine… It’s just too horribly convenient.

LUCY
We’re not eating dinner naked on my bed.

(Timm, 50s, enters and looks up to ponder the coffee menu.)

JOAN
You’re in your apartment. Secluded. Casual. He doesn’t have to want to get you into your bedroom. The whole apartment is a boudoir. You go into the kitchen to get dessert, come back and find him naked standing on your coffee table.

LUCY
You really don’t know Joe.

JOAN
Lucy.

LUCY
What?

JOAN
I do know Joe.

TIMM
Hello. I would like a latte.

LUCY (defiantly)
I don’t have a coffee table.

(She goes back to cleaning. Joan puts out her cigarette. Timm sighs. Blackout.)

No comments: