Friday, January 8, 2010

Week 51, Day 355 - "Footprints"

“Footprints”

Written by Joe Janes

1/8/10

355 of 365

Cast:

Jesus, 30s

Clarence, 30s

(In the dark we hear the sounds of ocean waves. Lights come up on Clarence, a heavyset man, standing along the shore, looking around in wonder.)

CLARENCE

Where am I?

(Jesus enters.)

JESUS

Hello, Clarence.

CLARENCE

Jesus?

JESUS

Yes, Clarence.

CLARENCE

I’m in heaven.

JESUS

You are.

CLARENCE

What are these footprints in the sand?

JESUS

They represent the path you took during your life.

CLARENCE

There are two sets of footprints.

JESUS

Because I walked beside you, my son.

CLARENCE

What are the smaller prints?

JESUS

Oh. I have a dog. Levi. He likes to walk along with me. Play in the water. He’s a real scamp. Cute little jack Russell terrier.

CLARENCE

Oh, they’re smart.

JESUS

They really are. But watch your step. He is a poop machine.

CLARENCE

Jesus, what’s this over here? There’s only one set of footprints. Did you abandon me?

JESUS

No, Clarence. That was one of the lowest points in your life. You were unemployed, deep in debt, overeating, chronically masturbating-

CLARENCE

Yes. I-I remember.

JESUS

That’s when I carried you.

CLARENCE

Oh. I see. What’s this big mess over here?

JESUS

That’s where I dropped you. You…are fat. And goopy. Hard to keep a grip. Sorry. Just being honest.

CLARENCE

Yeah. Okay. Sure. Did you hurt yourself?

JESUS

Pulled a groin muscle. Hurt like hell. Three days in hell.

CLARENCE

Oh.

JESUS

I was making a joke. It still hurt. Acts up every now and again.

CLARENCE

I’m really sorry.

JESUS

What are you gonna to do? No good deed goes unpunished, right?

(Pause)

JESUS

Well, welcome to heaven. Mind the poop. (He walks off) Levi! (whistles) Levi!

(Clarence looks at the bottom of his shoe as lights fade.)

No comments: