Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week 33, Day 230 - “By Any Other Name"

“By Any Other Name”

Written by Joe Janes

9/5/09

230 of 365

Cast

Melissa, 30s

Joe, 30s

(Lights up on Joe and Melissa sitting in their living room. Joe is reading a book. Melissa is flipping through a magazine. Joe looks up. He’s about to speak to Melissa, but hesitates. He goes back to reading. He stops and looks at her quizzically. She feels his eyes on her and looks up.)

MELISSA

What?

JOE

Your name is Melissa.

MELISSA

Yep. It is.

JOE

I hardly ever call you that.

MELISSA

Sure you do.

JOE

No. I don’t.

MELISSA

You’ve said my name before.

JOE

Only when I have to. Like, in introductions. I’m just saying, I never say it in conversation with you. What do I say when I call you at work?

MELISSA

“Hey.”

JOE

I say “Hey.”

MELISSA

I know it’s you.

JOE

What did you say earlier when I walked in the door?

MELISSA

I said, “Hey.” Oh my God, I do it, too.

JOE

We have names.

MELISSA

We sure do. Why don’t we use them? We don’t even use pet names.

JOE

We say “honey.” Does “honey” count as a pet name?

MELISSA

No, that counts as a warning that one of us is about to condescend to the other. (Joe looks at her puzzled and then demonstrates…) Honey.

JOE

Wow – you’re right. That’s not a term of endearment at all.

MELISSA

It’s a term of asshole.

JOE

Well, I like your name. I’m going to use it more often. (Pause) Melissa.

MELISSA

Me, too. (Pause) Joe.

JOE

Melissa - Joe, Joe – Melissa.

MELISSA

How do you do, Joe?

JOE

I am fine, Melissa. It is lovely to meet you. Melissa.

MELISSA

The feeling is mutual, Joe. I like this. That sounds much better.

JOE

It’s like we’re people.

MELISSA

Yah. We’re somebody. Somebodies.

(They return to their reading, briefly.)

JOE

You have more syllables than I do.

MELISSA

I could call you Joseph.

JOE

You’d still have one more.

MELISSA

It’s just a name.

JOE

It’s just a name.

(They go back to reading.)

JOE

Hey – (Catches himself) Melissa. Can I call you Mel?

MELISSA

No.

(Blackout.)

No comments: